The first thing to think about is your brief.
- Objectives. What do you want the audience to think, feel do?
- Target Audience. Who is the piece aimed at? The more detail about the audience the better.
- Background. What’s the context in which the piece is being written?
- Type of communication. Is it a story, presentation, video, speech or a combination?
- Source materials. Where will the writer get content? How will they access interview sources?
- Length & Frequency. How many words? How often?
- Style. Are there any special requirements such as tone of voice or do you have style guidelines that need to be followed?
- Delivery format. Print or on line? Microsoft Word? HTML?
- Timeline. What timeline are you working to? Is there a schedule of dates that need to be hit?
- Approval process. Any approvals required along the way. Who will sign off on final copy?